Nate Finch, Toby Montgomery, and Barbara Wright began operating the firm as Finch, Montgomery & Wright in early 1986 in the office located at 350 Cambridge Avenue, Suite 175, Palo Alto, California.
Nate Finch died in 1990, and Toby Montgomery retired in 2000.
When Barbara asked Jamie Emmer to join the firm in 2000, the firm's name became Finch, Montgomery, Wright & Emmer. Jamie Emmer retired in 2010.
Barbara invited Liza Hanks to join the firm in 2010, and the firm's name was changed to Finch Montgomery Wright LLP. The Limited Liability Company terminated at the end of April 2017, and Liza Hanks moved to another law firm.
Barbara's office remains at the same convenient location the firm has enjoyed for over 30 years, assisted by her fabulous staff, Debbie Cooper and Corinne Taylor. Barbara incorporated her practice as a California Professional Corporation, so the firm is now known as Finch Montgomery Wright PC.
Barbara P. Wright
Barbara P. Wright is a member of the Board of Directors, Secretary and Legal Counsel of the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI). She is also Secretary and Legal Counsel of The Monterey Bay Aquarium Foundation, The Packard Humanities Institute, and The Stanford Theatre Foundation. She was Secretary (1987–2008) and General Counsel (1998–2008) of The David and Lucile Packard Foundation. Barbara has represented other nonprofit organizations, including: Lucile Salter Packard Children’s Hospital at Stanford; and Lucile Packard Foundation for Children’s Health.
Barbara has a peer-review rating of AV® Preeminent™ in both legal ability and ethical standards by Martindale Hubbell, the highest rating a lawyer can receive, since 1989. More recently she has also received a rating of AV in both categories by the judiciary.
Barbara is currently Secretary of Sonoma Wire Works, a company founded by her son, and has been a member of the Board of Directors of Albany International Corp. (1989–2005), the Board of Trustees of the Castilleja School Foundation (1992–1995), and the Vestry of Christ Church, Los Altos (1990–1993). She is a member of the Santa Clara County, California, and American Bar Associations.
Barbara was born in Appleton, Wisconsin, and received a BA in English and an MA in Education from Stanford University. She received her legal training and JD degree from Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, where she was a member of the Loyola Law Review. She and her husband live in Los Altos Hills, California. They have two married children and three grandsons.
J.D., Loyola Law School, Los Angeles
Member, Loyola Law Review
B.A. in English, Stanford University
M.A. in Education, Stanford University
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Professional And Bar Associations
- Santa Clara County Bar Association
- California Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI), Board of Directors, Secretary and Legal Counsel
- The Monterey Bay Aquarium Foundation, Secretary and Legal Counsel
- The Packard Humanities Institute, Secretary and Legal Counsel
- The Stanford Theatre Foundation, Secretary and Legal Counsel
- The David and Lucile Packard Foundation, Secretary (1987–2008) and General Counsel (1998–2008);
- Lucile Salter Packard Children’s Hospital at Stanford, nonprofit, Legal Representation
- Lucile Packard Foundation for Children’s Health, nonprofit, Legal Representation
- Sonoma Wire Works, Secretary
- Albany International Corp., Member of the Board of Directors (1989-2005),
- Castilleja School Foundation, Member of the Board of Trustees (1992-1995),
- Vestry of Christ Church, Los Altos, Member (1990-1993)